Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Tuesday, August 18

For Bright Molande,

The gods, this morning I saw things that must not hapen in Africa, our beautiful continent. I was on a train, this underground snake, and a young woman sat opposite me.

She was wearing a doubting face. She had a cup of hot coffee and was holding on to her bike which looked more important to her than human beings. I felt sorry for her. She was miserable. Not just because life is tough here, but because there is no soial fabric to sustain life. A man must care for himself.

The moment she got out of the train, she ran with her bike and jumped on it, as if rushing for nowhere. A companion is a bike, a dog, or a newspaper.

Life here is never enjoyable. This lady spoke with nobody on the train. Passengers were busy behind newspapers, novels, and nothing at all. This made me miss Africa, sweet home. In a train in Malawi, I would have been listening to a stranger telling me how he married his first wife and third wife.

All I mean is that in Africa I would have been engaged in some conversation, not just sitting there as if for no apparent reason.

Now that you and me know these thing and believe Malawi is best, let us shout to Malawians that our culture is the best.

Good bye for now.

No comments: